Best and Cheapest Air Fryer – (Top 4 Updated For 2020)
When we compare deep fat fryers and air fryers, we can say that air fryers are a more healthy way to fry different foods. They use hot air and less cooking oil – or sometimes even no oil at all – to cook.
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around the food using the convection mechanism. It is a smaller version of the convection oven.
A mechanical fan circulates the hot air around the food at high speed, cooking the food and producing a crispy layer via the browning reactions of caramelization and the Maillard reaction. The Maillard reaction requires temperatures of between 280-330°F (140-165°C), while caramelization temperatures depend on the sugar being caramelized and range from 230-360°F (110-180°C). (source)
Types of air fryer
Basically all air fryers works the same way. Air is heated and blasted around the inside of the appliance in a way that’s similar to a fan oven. They can also be used to cook a range of other foods.
The model you pick affects how much space you have to cook with, and how much effort you have to put in. These are the main types:
- Air fryers with a pull-out tray – these have a tray or basket you add food to and slot in, you usually can’t check progress without pulling out your food.
- Air fryers with a bowl – these have a wider bowl with a viewing window in the lid so you can check on the food without disturbing the process. They sometimes have a stirring paddle too, though this doesn’t always make for better chips.
What can you cook in an air fryer?
Air fryers are fast, and once you understand how they work, they can be used to heat frozen foods or cook all sorts of fresh food like chicken, steak, pork chops, salmon and veggies. Most meats require no added oil because they’re already so juicy: just season them with salt and your favorite herbs and spices. Make sure you stick to dry seasonings — less moisture leads to crispier results. If you want to baste meats with barbecue sauce or honey, wait until the last couple minutes of cooking.
How to use air fryers
1. Shake it.
Be sure to open the air fryer and shake foods around as they “fry” in the machine’s basket—smaller foods like French fries and chips can compress. For best results, rotate them every 5-10 minutes.
2. Don’t overcrowd.
Give foods plenty of space so that the air can circulate effectively; that’s what gives you crispy results. Our test kitchen cooks swear by the air fryer for snacks and small batches.
3. Give foods a spray.
Lightly spray foods with cooking spray or add just a bit of oil to ensure they don’t stick to the basket.
4. Keep it dry.
Pat foods dry before cooking (if they are marinated, for example) to avoid splattering and excess smoke. Similarly, when cooking high-fat foods like chicken wings, make sure to empty the fat from the bottom machine periodically.
5. Master other cooking methods.
The air fryer isn’t just for frying; it’s great for other healthy cooking methods like baking, roasting and grilling, too. Our test kitchen also loves to use the machine for cooking salmon!
Best and Cheapest Air Fryer – (Top 4 Updated For 2020)
We reviewed a range of air fryers available and we selected the 4 best and cheapest air fryers to share with you. This are the factors we took in consideration was:
- Food capacity – You can make do with a smaller food capacity if you’re cooking for just yourself, but you need a bigger one for more people.
- Unit dimensions – You have to make sure you have the countertop and storage space for your air fryer.
- Features – It should have the features you want, such as digital or dial control.
- Looks – If you’re leaving it on your countertop, it ought to look good.
- Reliability – Just because an air fryer is cheap doesn’t mean you have to settle for one that breaks down quickly.
Avalon Bay AirFryer is the best and cheapest air fryer with bonus baking set and recipe book, 2.65 quart capacity. This Avalon Bay air fryer is the smallest in the brand’s lineup, and it’s designed for singles and couples. This uses dials that lets you adjust the temperature and the timer. It’s simple and it works great.
- The temperature range goes all the way to 400 degrees.
- The 30-minute timer switches to standby mode automatically.
- The purchase includes a metal roasting rack, a baking dish, and a detachable metal mesh food basket.
- It features feet with a nonslip grip.
GoWise Air Fryer – lets you cook your favorite foods with little to no oil. Thanks to rapid air technology there is no need to add oil to prepare fried foods. This technique uses the hot air circulating within to make healthier versions of your favorite fried foods.
- The screen shows a display for the timer and the temperature.
- You can just push the “+” and “-” buttons to adjust the timer and the temperature.
- There are also 8 other buttons for preset modes: warm-up, shrimp, chip, meat, chicken, cake, steak, and fish.
- The 3.7-quart food capacity can offer enough snacks for a group of people.
- The pan and the basket are removable, so you can just clean them in the dishwasher.
- The air fryer shuts off automatically when the timer goes off or when you take out the pan to stir or serve the food.
NuWave Air Fryer – comes with a large 3-quart capacity, this is perfect for cooking all of your favorite foods. The non-stick coating of the fry pan basket provides good results. The convenient size and easy-to-remove cooking basket allows you and your family to enjoy wholesome meals regularly.
- This comes with a 3.5-quart food capacity.
- The controls are digital with an LED screen.
- The temperature range can go from 100 to 390 degrees. You don’t need to push the button too often to increase the temperature, since each push results in a 5-degree incremental change.
- It has an automatic preheat feature so you can start the timer when it’s at the right temperature.
- It automatically shuts down when the food basket is taken off.
- The drawer and food basket are easy to clean, as they feature nonstick coating and they’re detachable so you can wash them in the dishwasher.
Della Electric Air Fryer – includes a detachable basket for easy transfer from the fryer to a serving dish it’s also quipped with a carry handle for easy transportation and storage.
- This uses simple dials to set the temperature and the timer.
- It features a light to indicate that’s it’s turned on, and another light tells you when it’s heating.
- It automatically turns to standby mode once the tier goes off.
- You have a 2.8-quart capacity for the mesh basket. For the fryer pan, it is 4.4 quarts.
- The basket is detachable for easy cleanup.
- It’s quite portable as it is compact and lightweight.
- There’s a protective plastic cover on the food basket.
- The release button keeps you from dropping the food basket holder accidentally.
Any of these air fryers on our list offer excellent value for your money. The price is under $100, which is a huge relief when you consider that some air fryers cost more than $300. Yet they also work well, with easy to use controls and simple cleanup.
We recommend the Avalon Bay AirFryer . The brand has a good reputation for quality, and it’s extremely easy to use. You just need to push a button and you’re good to go. That’s hard to beat when you’re looking for the best cheapest air fryer.
You can find others that are cheaper but not the best.
Karen started writing about health to document her own journey. She fell into some very bad habits and knew things had to change. That’s why she joined us to help as many people as possible with their health issues.