Are you looking for the best tanning cream for men? Then this review post is perfect for you. We reviewed a range of tanning cream for men on the market and selected the top ones to share with you.
Tanning creams, also called self-tanners, can give your skin a tanned look without exposing it to harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. Tanning products are commonly sold as lotions, creams, and sprays you apply to your skin.
The active ingredient in most sunless tanning products is the color additive dihydroxyacetone (DHA). When applied, dihydroxyacetone reacts with dead cells in the skin’s surface layer to temporarily darken the skin and simulate a tan. The coloring typically wears off after a few days. (source)
Types of self tanners
Self-tanners come available in different forms, some more beneficial to your sheath than others. That’s always dependent on your skin type and sensitivity. Of the more popular options:
- Gels: Composed to hydrate and tan normal to oily skin with a longer dry period
- Lotions: Suited for amateurs with a prolonged absorption rate and simple application
- Mousses: Take on a liquid-esque form to cover up areas and dry faster on skin
- Sprays: Mist that takes longer to dry and delivers deeper color across the entire body
- Wipes: Towelettes that create a bronze glow or refresh fading tans
Entrusting in one won’t just warrant you instant tanning results. It’ll keep your skin safe from the sun, while saving you cash and time in the long run. Not a bad set of benefits to reap.
Will sunless tanning products protect you from a sunburn?
Most sunless tanning products don’t contain sunscreen. If a product contains sunscreen, the sunscreen will be effective only for a couple of hours. If you spend time outdoors, sunscreen remains essential.
Is tanning creams safe to use?
Tanning products are generally considered safe alternatives to sunbathing, as long as they’re used as directed.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved DHA for external application to the skin. However, the FDA states that DHA shouldn’t be inhaled or applied to areas covered by mucous membranes, including the lips, nose, or areas around the eyes because the risks of doing so are unknown.
If you’re using a sunless tanning product at home, follow the directions on the label and don’t get the product in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
How to apply tanning creams for men
For best results, follow the package directions. In general:
- The first thing you must do is exfoliate. Use a washcloth or exfoliating product to remove excess dead skin cells. Spend a little extra time on areas with thick skin, such as your knees, elbows, and ankles. Dry your skin.
- Apply in sections. Massage the product into your skin in a circular motion. Apply the tanner to your body in sections, such as your arms, then legs and torso. Wash your hands with soap after each section to avoid discoloring your palms. Lightly extend the product from your ankles to your feet and from your wrists to your hands.
- Wipe joint areas. Knees, elbows and ankles tend to absorb more of sunless tanning products. To dilute the tanning effect in these areas, gently rub them with a damp towel or apply a little lotion on top of the self-tanner.
- Take time to dry. Wait at least 10 minutes before getting dressed. Wear loose clothing and try to avoid sweating.
Best Tanning Cream For Men (Updated For 2020)
We tested a range of tanning creams for men and select the best brands to share with you. Take a look at the options below:
St.Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse is the best tanning cream for men on the market. Just ask the thousands of self-tanning costumers who continue to make this bronzing mousse a best seller.
This tanning cream delivers an instant bronze glow that dries in 60 seconds and after 4 – 8 hours, it turns into a long-lasting tan. Infused with eco-cert approved DHA (an all natural tanning agent), St. Tropez delivers a perfectly natural-looking, streak-free tan that fades evenly. Tan lasts for up to 10 days.
Tips for applying St. Tropez Self Tan
- Step 1: Exfoliate 24 hours prior to use. Immediately prior to application, moisturize any dry areas including elbows, knees, ankles, and feet.
- Step 2: For best results, apply using the Tan Applicator Mitt in long sweeping motions, starting at the ankles and working your way up. Then for your back, turn the mitt back to front and start applying in the same way. Ensure all areas are covered before lightly gliding any excess tan from the Mitt over your hands and feet.
- Step 3: Wait until touch dry before getting dressed.
- Step 4: Allow 4-8 hours before showering to reveal your developed tan.
- Step 5: To prolong and maintain your tan, moisturize daily, exfoliate regularly, and reapply as desired.
The best thing about this tanning cream is that it will give you a natural-looking glow gradually over a few applications so you can avoid becoming orange overnight. This also makes it perfect for first-timers who want to ease into self-tanning. The light-weight formula features a masculine scent and is non-greasy. The end result is a natural-looking and long-lasting tan.
How To Use:
- Step 1: For an even, streak-free tan ensure skin is clean, exfoliated, and free of any moisturizers.
- Step 2: Apply Bondi Sands liberally to an Application Mitt before using long, sweeping motion to smooth over legs, arms, and body. Use remaining residue on tanning mitt for face, elbows and knees. Wait until touch dry before dressing.
- Step 3: Use daily to ensure a golden tan throughout the year. Wash your hands after use.
Hydra Tan Mist contains a range of skin-loving ingredients that give you a boost of bronze, together with hydration and spritzing to your skin.
This lightweight mist offers the ultimate gradual tanning experience. Each application builds into a deeper tan, allowing you to take control of your color.
With undertones of fig and ginger, the fragrance is light, fresh, and complements your favorite aftershave.
This can be applied to both the face and body to achieve a natural-looking tan. This is a great product for men as it gives subtle results that you can build upon depending on the deepness of color you are after.
Clinique For Men Face Bronzer is the best tanning cream for face, it is the non-streak meaning you can apply it and walk out of the door not worrying about a streaky face. The bronzer itself is transparent and being oil-free it is suited for all skin types. It applies onto the skin smoothly and creates a subtle bronzed glow as it develops over time. If you feel you have applied too much it can always be removed with soap and water.
This is one of the best tanning creams for men as it’s super convenient to apply and produces a healthy-looking layer for all skin tones. As the name suggests, it can be applied as part of your daily shower routine and will gradually build up over a few days of use.
How to use
- Step 1: Fully cleanse and wash in a warm shower.
- Step 2: With the shower off, generously apply the product to wet skin in circular motions with your hands to create an even coverage. Wash palms after application.
- Step 3: Wait 3 minutes.
- Step 4: Fully rinse off with warm water only.
- Step 5: Gently dry yourself, before getting dressed.
- After showering, the self-tan actives will naturally start to work, developing gradually and deepening with regular reapplication within the shower.
How to remove self-tanners
If your self-tanner is a bronzer or some equivalent product that works by staining your skin, a lengthy shower, involving soap and vigorous scrubbing, should suffice to remove the tanning product. Failing that, multiple showers – or, better yet, a dip in a chlorine-infused pool – should help remove the last vestiges of your artificial tan.