Blood Pressure Machines For Home Use
High blood pressure is a common disease also referred to as HBP or hypertension. It happens when your blood pressure, the force of blood flowing through your blood vessels, is consistently too high.
The American Heart Association says that more than 100 million Americans have high blood pressure. The number of Americans at risk for heart attacks and strokes just got a lot higher. An estimated 103 million U.S. adults have high blood pressure.
That’s why its important to take control over high blood pressure. Its usually called the silent killer because it has no symptoms.
The only way to know if you have high blood pressure is to measure it. You can measure you blood pressure quickly with a blood pressure monitor for home use.
What is a blood pressure machines for home use?
Blood pressure machines for home use is also known as sphygmomanometer, blood pressure meter, or blood pressure gauge, is a device created just to measure blood pressure, it usually have an inflatable cuff to collapse and then release the artery under the cuff in a controlled manner, and a mercury or mechanical manometer to measure the pressure.
It is always used in conjunction with a means to determine at what pressure blood flow is just starting, and at what pressure it is unimpeded.
Types of blood pressure machines for home use
You may feel the need to keep track of your blood pressure at home. To do this, you will need to get the right blood pressure monitors for home use. The monitor you choose should be of good quality and fit well.
These are the types of home blood pressure monitors:
Manual blood pressure monitor for home use
- Manual devices include a cuff that wraps around your arm, a rubber squeeze bulb, and a gauge that measures the blood pressure. A stethoscope is needed to listen to the blood pulsing through the artery.
- You can see your blood pressure on the circular dial of the gauge as the needle moves around and the pressure in the cuff rises or falls.
- When used correctly, manual devices are very accurate. However, they are not the recommended type of blood pressure monitor for home use.
Digital blood pressure monitor for home use
- A digital blood pressure monitor for home use will also have a cuff that wraps around the arm. To inflate the cuff, you may need to use a rubber squeeze ball. Most of them are automatic, you just need to push a button.
- After the cuff is inflated, the pressure will slowly drop on its own. The screen will show a digital readout of your systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- After showing your blood pressure, the cuff will deflate on its own. With most machines, you must wait for 2 to 3 minutes before using it again.
- A digital blood pressure monitor will not be as accurate if your body is moving when you are using it. Also, an irregular heart rate will make the reading less accurate. However, digital monitors are the best choice for most people.
Understanding the blood pressure readings
The only way to know if you have high blood pressure is to have your blood pressure tested. Understanding your results is very important to controlling high blood pressure.
The chart bellow reveals what’s considered normal, as recommended by the American Heart Association.
Blood pressure categories
The five blood pressure ranges as recognized by the American Heart Association are:
Blood pressure numbers of less than 120/80 mm Hg are considered within the normal range. If your results fall into this category, stick with heart-healthy habits like following a balanced diet and getting regular exercise.
Elevated blood pressure is when readings consistently range from 120-129 systolic and less than 80 mm Hg diastolic. People with elevated blood pressure are likely to develop high blood pressure unless steps are taken to control the condition.
Hypertension Stage 1
Hypertension Stage 1 is when blood pressure consistently ranges from 130-139 systolic or 80-89 mm Hg diastolic. At this stage of high blood pressure, doctors are likely to prescribe lifestyle changes and may consider adding blood pressure medication based on your risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD), such as heart attack or stroke.
Hypertension Stage 2
Hypertension Stage 2 is when blood pressure consistently ranges at 140/90 mm Hg or higher. At this stage of high blood pressure, doctors are likely to prescribe a combination of blood pressure medications and lifestyle changes.
This stage of high blood pressure requires medical attention. If your blood pressure readings suddenly exceed 180/120 mm Hg, wait five minutes and then test your blood pressure again. If your readings are still unusually high, contact your doctor immediately. You could be experiencing a hypertensive crisis.
If the number higher than 180/120 mm Hg and you are experiencing signs of possible organ damage such as chest pain, shortness of breath, back pain, numbness/weakness, change in vision or difficulty speaking, do not wait to see if your pressure comes down on its own. Call 911. (source)
Steps to get the most accurate reading with blood pressure machines for home use
More and more experts now recommend that people with high blood pressure regularly to check their blood pressure with a blood pressure monitor for home use.
With this people can have an idea where their blood pressure stands in between office visits. It also helps doctors make quick medication adjustments to keep blood pressure in the healthy zone.
But blood pressure monitors for home use aren’t always as accurate as they should be. “Home blood pressure monitors may be inaccurate in 5% to 15% of patients, depending on the threshold for accuracy used,” according to Dr. Swapnil Hiremath, a kidney specialist at Ottawa Hospital in Canada.(source)
The best monitor for most people is a device with an automatically inflating arm cuff and large digital readout for easy reading. To get the most accurate blood pressure readings from a blood pressure monitor for home use, follow these simple steps:
- Avoid caffeinated or alcoholic beverages, and don’t smoke, during the 30 minutes before the test.
- Sit quietly for five minutes with your back supported and feet on the floor.
- When making the measurement, support your arm so your elbow is at the level of your heart.
- Push your sleeves out of the way and wrap the blood pressure cuff over bare skin.
- Measure your blood pressure according to the machine’s instructions. Leave the deflated cuff in place, wait a minute, then take a second reading. If the readings are close, average them. If not, repeat again and average the three readings.
- Don’t be too concerned if a reading is high. Relax for a few minutes and try again.
- Keep a record of your blood pressure readings and the time of day they are made.
What to look for before buying a blood pressure machine
This is the most important thing to consider in a blood pressure monitor. It’s also important that the results are easy for you to read. Those with large digital displays may be best.
The size of the cuff is another important feature to check when you’re selecting a blood pressure monitor, Dr. Laffin says. (source)
The size relates to the circumference of your upper arm. A cuff that doesn’t fit properly on your arm may give you inaccurate readings.
Choose arm cuffs over wrist cuffs
It is possible to purchase a blood pressure monitor for home use at any drugstore or online. It’s recommended to get a monitor with an automatic cuff that wraps around your upper arm.
Wrist cuffs work better if you are under 50.
If you always take your blood pressure at home, the size of your monitor may not be all that important. But if you need to take it on the go, you’ll want to choose one that’s small, lightweight, and has a reliable power source that meets your needs.
The best blood pressure monitors for home use
We selected the 5 best blood pressure monitors with the most accurate readings. We only reviewed upper arm blood pressure monitors because they are usually more accurate than wrist monitors.
Wrist monitors are very sensitive to body position and can usually give you inaccurate readings.
Here are the top 5 most accurate blood pressure monitors:
- iProven Home Blood Pressure Monitor
- HYLOGY Blood Pressure Monitor Upper Arm
- KONQUEST KBP-2704A Automatic Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
- Greater Goods Bluetooth Blood Pressure Monitor Cuff
- OMRON 5 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
iProven Home Blood Pressure Monitor is one of the best blood pressure machines for home use you can find out there that is not expensive.
This blood pressure machine gives you accurate insights into your blood pressure and heart health. It is equipped with a 60 readings memory for 2 users, so 2 persons can measure daily for 2 months and track their progress.
The Digital Blood Pressure Monitor comes with a large display. The arrow on the display will show you whether your BP levels are within the healthy range, according to the American Heart Association.
The Irregular Heartbeat Detector will warn you if your heartbeat is irregular.
- It has a large display with backlight, so you’ll know your levels at a glance.
- Every reading is stored automatically in the memory.
- While the cuff is inflating, measurements already start. Giving you quick and pain-free measurements.
- Low price
- Very easy to use
- Few people reported that it takes a little time to show the results
- May have problems to fit for people with large arms
With the advancement of modern technology and people’s pursuit of high quality healthy life, home medical appliances have become an indispensable part in people’s daily life.
HYLOGY AES-U171 is unique blood pressure monitor on the market, which is equipped with large LED full-touchscreen. The latest technology provides high-accurate readings so as to help users focus on their health better.
HYLOGY offers a 24-month warranty and replacement services. If you encounter any problem or need support, contact them via E-mail: email@example.com or Amazon directly.
- Easy to use
- Accurate readings
- Touch screen
- Clear Voice Broadcast
- 2 Years Quality Warranty
- A small number of people reported being small
- It does not have time and date capabilities
The Konquest KBP-2704A Digital Blood Pressure Monitor accurately helps you keep track of your systolic/diastolic blood pressure and heart rate with date and time stamp easily at home.
You can switch between 2 users to store measurements separately if sharing with a spouse or loved one. It also automatically record up to 120 measurements with date and time for easy blood pressure tracking – great for doctor visits.
This blood pressure for home use will automatically display and alert you to an irregular heartbeat detection.
Displayed measurements include
- Systolic pressure
- Diastolic pressure
- Pulse rate
- Current User
- Date and time
- Fast Reading – Less Than 1 Minute Response
- FDA Approved
- Large Backlit Display
- Very Easy To Use
- Some people reported that it did not came with the AC Adapter
Since blood pressure changes so often, it can be hard to track the overall trends and understand what they mean for your health.
Greater Goods designed this monitor to make it easy.
Their BT Monitor has the same high accuracy as our top-selling upper arm monitor, now with the ability to sync results to the device of your choice.
When you take a measurement, your monitor sends it to the Balance Health app, where it is displayed in the context of your overall measurement history and healthy averages.
Once you download the free Balance Health app and pair your monitor, your results will transfer automatically when the app is open.
Comes in a professional kit that has everything you need to get started, including 4 AAA batteries, a wall plug, a premium fabric upper arm cuff, and a storage case.
Measures systolic and diastolic blood pressure as well as pulse with a single button. Hypertension indicator bar and irregular heartbeat sensor alert you to any issues. Large, backlit LCD display with oversized numbers.
Adjustable cuff comfortably fits arm sizes from 8 3/4″ to 16 1/2″. 2 users can store up to 60 records each (120 total entries).
Cleared by the FDA for use as a medical device. Requires BT Smart technology (in most recent Android phones, and an iPhone 4S or beyond, running iOS 7.1 or later.) App works with iOS & Android only, and integrates with Apple Health.
- FDA Approved
- 2 power sources
- Premium blood pressure cuff
- Can sync results to other devices.
- Low price
- Bluetooth sync fails with some devices
The 5 Series home blood pressure monitor with Omron’s Advanced Accuracy helps ensure consistent, precise readings.
This model is quick and easy and has a few more features than the 3 Series Upper Arm, like dual settings for two users, memory storage space for up to 100 readings and a wide range cuff that fits standard and large arms.
Advanced accuracy automatically displays the average of the last three readings taken within 10 minutes. The BP Level Bar displays how your reading compares to internationally recognized guidelines for normal home blood pressure levels.
Stores 100 Readings, 50 Each for Two Users
You and a friend or family member can monitor your blood pressure and pulse rate together because our advanced unit stores 50 readings for each user and includes date and time stamps.
The Advanced Averaging feature automatically displays the average of the last 3 readings taken within 10 minutes.
Contoured soft cuff is designed to comfortably fit standard and large adult arm circumferences from 9 to 17 inches in circumference.
Package includes one blood pressure monitor; one wide range, contoured soft cuff; quick start guide; instruction manual and 4 AA batteries
- Stores 100 Readings, 50 Each for Two Users
- Wide-Range D-Ring (9 to 17 inches)
- 4 AA Included
- Easy to use
- AC Adapter Not Included
- Small number of people reported to be inaccurate
The excessive pressure on your artery walls caused by high blood pressure can damage your blood vessels, as well as organs in your body. The higher your blood pressure and the longer it goes uncontrolled, the greater the damage.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to complications including:
- Heart attack or stroke.
- Heart failure.
- Weakened and narrowed blood vessels in your kidneys.
- Thickened, narrowed or torn blood vessels in the eyes vision loss.
- Metabolic syndrome.
- Trouble with memory or understanding.
This is the reason why is very important to use a blood pressure monitor for home use to monitor you condition.
While whichever model you choose is likely to give at least slightly different results from other monitors, keeping a regular track of blood pressure at home can give an overall picture of when blood pressure starts to creep up or slide down.
Of all the different blood pressure monitors models we tested, the five we chose are all great options that appealed to a lot of users. Our overall winner, and the best blood pressure monitor for home use was the iProven Home Blood Pressure Monitor .
The iProven Home Blood Pressure Monitor was the monitor that most people found easy to use, with a large clear display that was easy to read. A lot of users were impressed with the accuracy of their results and this included medical professionals.
Karen started writing about health to document her own journey. She fell into some very bad haits and knew things had to change. That’s why she began this site!