Knee Braces For Arthritis Seniors – Top 5 (Updated For 2020)
Knee arthritis can make it hard to do many everyday activities, such as walking or climbing stairs. It is a major cause of lost work time and a serious disability for many people.
The most common types of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, but there are more than 100 different forms. While arthritis is mainly an adult disease, some forms affect children.
The video bellow explains the difference between rheumatoid arthritis v osteoarthritis:
Although there is no cure for arthritis, there are many treatment options available to help manage pain and keep people staying active.
A knee brace helps to manage the discomfort of knee osteoarthritis. A brace might help reduce pain by shifting your weight off the most damaged portion of your knee. Wearing a brace can improve your ability to get around and help you walk farther comfortably.
There are various types of braces used for knee arthritis. (source)
Types of knee braces for arthritis seniors
Knee Braces for arthritis is usually made from a combination of different materials, such as plastic, metal, or other similar components. They may be padded with synthetic rubber, foam, or other soft materials.
Pharmacies, medical supply stores, and online stores are all good places to find knee braces for arthritis.
This are the four main type of knee braces for arthritis more suitable to seniors:
- Prophylactic braces protect you from injury, usually when you play a sport.
- Functional or supportive braces support you if you’ve already injured a joint.
- Rehabilitative braces limit movement of a joint to allow time for healing. They are most often used after you’ve had surgery or a joint set in place.
- Unloader or offloader braces are the most common type used by people who have arthritis of the knee because they reduce pressure on key areas.
The most common brace types used for osteoarthritis are functional and unloader.
Related: Orthopedic Knee Braces and Supports
Why seniors need knee braces for arthritis
Osteoarthritis is a very complex condition involving the entire joint. It’s mainly known as a wear-and-tear type of arthritis that commonly affects the knees of older people. The disease frequently affects one side of your knee more than the other. This unequal damage can cause your knee to align imperfectly (malalignment), which can make you look knock-kneed or bowlegged.(source)
As the damage progresses, this malalignment worsens. A knee brace can take pressure off the part of your joint most affected by osteoarthritis and help relieve pain. If your knee feels like it might buckle when you put weight on it, a knee brace can also help you stand and move around with more confidence.
Some risks of knee braces for arthritis
The risk of wearing a knee brace for arthritis might be:
- Discomfort wearing the brace. A knee brace can feel heavy, bulky and hot at first. Poor fit can cause it to slip.
- Skin irritation or swelling. The skin under the brace might become red and irritated if your knee brace fits poorly. Some people also have swelling around the joint.
- Lack of benefit. Studies of knee braces for people with osteoarthritis have been limited, and results have been mixed. Some people see no benefit. Others report diminished pain and increased function.
- Stiffness. Wearing a brace can cause the wearer to treat the braced knee as injured and favor the other knee, which could contribute to joint stiffness.
The Best 5 Knee Braces For Arthritis – Seniors
- EzyFit Knee Brace Support for Arthritis (1,356 Ratings | 109 A.Q)
- TechWare Pro Knee Brace Support (3,497 Rating | 205 A.Q)
- Crucial Compression Sleeve (5,398 Rating | 158 A.Q)
- Nvorliy Plus Size Knee Brace (393 Rating | 34 A.Q)
- Sb Superiorbraces OA Unloader Knee Brace (42 Rating | 14 A.Q)
EzyFit Knee Brace Support for Arthritis is one of the best knee braces for arthritis recommended to seniors. It has strong velcro closures and is reinforced with double stitching.
They are easy to put on and move with you so there is no restriction of movement.
Its not just suited for seniors, it can also be used by:
- Weightlifters or fitness-conscious who indulge in intensive workouts
- Teenagers who indulge in sports or old people who suffer from knee pain due to aging or arthritis and find it difficult even to climb stairs or move around
- Construction workers or nurses who have to stand for long hours or professional sportsmen who cannot avoid the exertion
- Design that looks equally great on both men and women
TechWare Pro Knee Brace Support provides focused and even support for better knee protection and stability while maintaining knee mobility. Very easy to use and perfect if you practice any kind of sports.
It was designed especially for support and compression around the kneecap and tendon areas to heal knee injuries. It also comes with 4 flexible spring stabilizers to provide better knee cap protection and stability.
The customers were very happy with the sizes. It comes in 4 sizes medium, large, X-large and XX-large.
This is the most affordable one on our list. Some compression braces are very hot but not this one. It is very lightweight and breathable. it doesn’t cut circulation nor restrict your movements.
Stopping to pull your knee sleeves back up is frustrating, to say the least. With this compression braces, it always stays in place no matter what you’re doing. And they don’t bunch up behind your knees, so you can even wear them underneath your clothing. Now you’re finally free to enjoy your favorite activity uninterrupted.
It was designed just for large size legs. Six flexible metal springs enhance the support of the medial & lateral ligaments, the EVA pad also dispersing the patella pressure and relieving the shock.
You will forget the knee pain at the time of walking and up the stairs!
It is recommended if you are recovering from inflammation, swelling, arthritis, knee surgery, meniscus, and tendonitis. It has a breathable system that allows you to wear it more comfortably for a long time.
The most expensive in our list and perfectly suited for Osteoarthritis. It’s popular design and functionality easily sets it apart from similar knee braces for arthritis.
- Single strapping design helps achieve a perfect fit
- Low-profile, light-weight brace provides 3 points of leverage to reduce pressure inside the knee joint
- Ideal for unilateral compartment OA knee users
- Valgus and varus adjustment to fit individual’s alignment
- Universal – One size can be fitted to the majority of patients
- Medial is support at the middle of the knee / Lateral is support on the outside of the knee
Karen started writing about health to document her own journey. She fell into some very bad habits and knew things had to change. That’s why she began this site!